Friday, March 22, 2013

Top 9 Best Yeahs

I decided a while back that I wanted to compile a list of my favorite “yeahs” from various rock songs. You may wonder: why a top 9 list and not a top 10 list? Well, frankly, I could only think of 9 that I found truly worthy although I'm sure plenty more exist. Please respond with your favorites. I’d like to know what I’m missing. At any rate, I encourage all who aspire to sing killer lead rock vocals to study the following yeahs and include them in your repertoire. Some of them dive, some of them climb, some of them soar, some have melodies of their own, and some of them are just spat out. But they are all awesome.

9. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite - End of the bridge.
This is a fun song but it got really overplayed way back when. I think the only thing that would keep me listening is the fact that I knew that at the end of their little bridge/breakdown mr. leadsingerman would split the airwaves with a cutting, precise laser-beam of a yeah.

8. Limp Bizkit - My Way - Right before chorus
I can’t say I ever liked this band but I'll admit that this yeah makes it onto my top 9. Percussive and swooping, it leads into a chorus like a drum fill.

7. Live – “I Alone” – End of the bridge.
It’s almost like he wanted to keep singing…the build-up was so intense…but there just weren’t any more words that fit so just… yeah!, etc.

6. Fictionist - Strangers in the Dark - Leading into the guitar solo.
I actually asked the bass player during the months this album was being recorded to make sure they got in a yeah worthy of my top ten list. He smiled and said something along the lines of, "We've got just the thing." And it is quite the thing.

5. Weezer - Say it Aint So - "The son is drowning in the flood! Yeah yeah!"
Epic and well placed, these successive yeahs are a perfect climax to this song.

4. Tenacious D - Wonder Boy - end of the first verse.
"Not much to say when you're high above the mucky muck." It would appear the thing to do high above the mucky muck is to unleash an epic yeah in all your Jack Black glory.

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul to Squeeze - right before the big bridge breakdown.
This yeah is similar to the Limp Bizkit one, but better executed and placed in a better song by a better band. The yeah falls like a bomb that explodes on the and of 2 in the bridge with a big hit on the china cymbal as the lead guitar sails up into the atmosphere. The descending yeah followed by the ascending guitar line is an awesome moment of tension and release.

2. Jet - Be My Girl - "With another man...yeah!"
This guy's voice is just hard core. This yeah is everything good about rock n' roll.

1. Pearl Jam - Even Flow - Right before the first guitar solo.
Ok. This takes the cake for me. The yeah rips up through the sonic space like a kitana blade. Kitana.  Blade.  Gritty and strained, yet perfectly controlled, this yeah rocks as hard as a guitar bend. Eddie Vedder wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment